To maintain a better working system, Microsoft has always been providing Windows updates very frequently. Also, as you know these updates maintain the system to have its optimum performance as well as there are no bugs or errors in the system.
However, many users have reported about an issue with the Windows update. Among which the Windows update error 0x8024a105 is one of the most common of all.
Technically, the 0x8024a105 error occurs only with the Automatic Update option of the Windows. So, if you are a victim of this similar issue, then go through the article until the end.
5 Methods to Fix the Windows 10 Update Error 0x8024a105:
If you are struggling with the Windows 10 update error 0x8024a105, then you can perform any of the methods out of the five methods given below. Check out which one solves the error in your case. However, 0x8024a105 Windows update error is basically caused when there is a presence of corrupted files or sometimes it also causes due to the presence of the malware in the system.
For methods to fix this error, go through the instructions provided hereunder.
Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Before moving to the more complicated methods, let’s try out the easiest one to solve the 0x8024a105 error. According to many users, running the Windows Update Troubleshooter has solved this issue. So, follow the instructions given below to perform a check with the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run box. In the box, type “control.exe /name Microsoft. Troubleshooting” and then hit the Enter key to open the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- When the Troubleshoot window opens, navigate to the Windows Update option. Then select the Run the Troubleshooter option.
- Now, you have to wait until it detects the problem. If the Troubleshooter manages to find anything, simply go through the on-screen instructions.
- After that, check what can be done to fix the error. Now, select the “Apply the fix option” and wait.
- Once the Troubleshooter has successfully solved the issue, you can now restart your system and then check if the error is fixed or not.
However, if 0x8024a105 Windows 10 Update is not fixed with the above-said process, then you can skip to the next method to solve the error.
Method 2: Manually Reset the Windows Updates Components
According to many users, when they have reset the Windows update components manually, they have been able to fix the error 0x8024a105 Windows Update. However, this method has more success rate compared to others. Go through the quick guide given below.
- Open the Cortona from the Windows Taskbar, and then search for the “cmd”. In the results, right-click on the Command Prompt option and then select the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, you have to close the MSI Installer, BITS, Cryptographic and Windows Update services. Once the Command Prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands. However, after putting a single command, you have to hit the Enter key.
“net stop wuauserv”
“net stop bits”
“net stop cryptSvc”
“net stop msiserver”
- Furthermore, you have to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as well as the Cartroot2 folder. This will ensure the forcibly initiate of the components by the Windows Update.
- Next, again you have to copy and paste the following commands in the Command Prompt.
“ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old” and hit the Enter.
“ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old” and hit the Enter.
- Once you have completed the above process successfully, now you have to start the MSI Installer, BITS, Cryptographic and Windows Update services. For that, copy and paste the following commands. However, after putting a single command, you have to hit the Enter key.
“net start wuauserv”
“net start bits”
“net start cryptSvc”
“net start msiserver”
- Now, check if the services have started or not and then reboot your PC. When the PC starts, check if the error is fixed or not.
Method 3: Make Changes in the User Account Control (UAC) Settings
According to the experts, changing the User Account Control Settings can sometimes fix the error (0x8024a105). Basically, some of the updates were failing because there was no necessary permission from the logged-in User Account. Below are the quick steps that you can follow to change the User Account Control Settings.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R key. Then in the box, type “netplwiz” and then hit the Enter button to open the built-in troubleshooter of the Windows system.
- When the window opens, go to the User tab. From there, click on the Account that you are using.
- Next, click on the Properties section.
- When the Properties section opens, select the Group Membership. Then you have to set the level of access to the Administrator by the system. To save the modification, click on the Apply button.
- Once the whole process is complete, restart your device and check if the Windows update 0x8024a105 error is solved or not.
Method 4: Remove the Sofware Distribution Folder
If none of the above methods fixes the Windows update error 0x8024a105, then you can go through the following steps to delete the Software Distribution Folder from the system. Many users concluded that removing the folder from the system has fixed the 0x8024a105 error.
- First, press and hold the Windows key + X key to open the PowerShell option. Alternatively, you can search it from the Start Menu and then click on it to open.
- Once the Power Shell opens, you have to copy and then paste the following command in the window. Hit the Enter button.
“net stop wuauserv”
- Next, again you have to enter the following command and hit the Enter button.
“net stop bits”
- Once you have stopped the above services, you have to go the following folder path.
- In the window, you have to select all the folders. For that, either you can press Ctrl + A key or you can left-click at anyplace and then drag the cursor to the top left corner.
- Once you have selected all the folders, you have to delete the folders from the system permanently. For that, press the Shift key + Del key.
- Now, if any prompts screen pop up confirm it to remove the folder permanently from the system.
- Furthermore, restart the system. Now go back and try to update the Windows and check if the Windows 10 update error 0x8024a105 is fixed or not.
Method 5: Manually Installing the Updates of the System
Next, if you cannot fix the error still now, then you can manually install the updates. So, go through the instructions given below.
- Search for the System Information in the Start Menu and then open it.
- In the next window, you have to check the System Type. The value is basically the bit-version of Windows.
- Now, you have to check which version of Windows failed to install.
- Open the browser and go to the Microsoft Update Catalog. Then there you have to search for the update that failed to update.
- Now, from there, select the version and the bit-version and download the updates, thereby installing it in the system.
- Once the whole process is complete, restart the system.
Additional Methods to Fix the Windows Update Error 0x8024a105 Issue:
Here are a few more additional methods that you can perform to fix the 0x8024a105 Windows 10 update error. These are some of the fixes that can be followed and checked to fix the error.
- Reboot the PC: At times, this error can cause due to some bugs in the system, thus a simple reboot might sometimes fix the issue.
- Check the Internet Connection: Sometimes, this error is triggered when there is some issue with the internet connectivity of the system. Therefore, check the connectivity of the Internet.
- Fixing the issue with DISM Tool: Many users have fixed the error by using the DISM tool. Open the Command Prompt from the Start Menu and then type it “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth” and hit the Enter button. Wait until the DISM tool fixes the issue for you.