This is a BSOD error that generally occurs when the Windows is starting up. Many Windows 10 users have been facing this problem very often. When the users face this error, a blue screen appears and the error message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is displayed on the screen.
If you are one of the users who are facing this error, then do not worry. Here, we will be discussing the causes which led to this error and the solutions to overcome this error.
Reasons Responsible for the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10 Error:
This error occurs suddenly on the computer and confuses the users on how to get rid of it. Before you can implement any solution to fix this error, you need to know the causes which are responsible for this error. Here are some of the reasons that cause this error.
- If the system files get corrupted, then this error can show up. This corruption of the files can be caused due to a malware or virus infection. Also, some Windows-related problems can also damage these files.
- Another reason can be incompatible drivers. This happens when the driver of the newly installed hardware creates conflict with the other drivers and can eventually lead to a BSOD.
- Also, if the CPU gets overheated, the computer can shut down the computer by showing a BSOD to prevent any damage to the system.
- Sometimes, doing a Windows update can also make the files get placed improperly. This leads to a conflict between the different Windows versions and ultimately causes the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
- Hardware problems like a damaged RAM or motherboard can also cause this BSOD error.
- Registry corruption can also generate this problem. If you have recently, uninstalled or installed any software, then it may sometimes lead to the corruption of the registry.
- Lastly, if you have not installed the software correctly, then it can also cause this error to show up.
Reliable Solutions to Eliminate Stop Code DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error:
So, after knowing the reasons for this error to show up, let’s check out what are the solutions that can fix this problem.
Solution 1. Remove the Network Drivers
Generally, this error occurs when the computer is starting up. However, sometimes this can also occur after every few minutes. So, if you are unable to start your computer normally, then you have to enter Safe Mode.
Here we have provided two methods for when you are able to start your computer normally and when you cannot.
If the Computer Boots Up Normally:
- Press the R and WIndows keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, in the dialog box, you have to type “devmgmt” and then press the “OK” button. This will open the “Device Manager”.
- Here, you have to expand the “Network Adapters” option. After that, right-click on the Network Device option and select the “Uninstall” option.
- Then, you will see a separate window to pop up and ask for your permission to uninstall. You have to confirm by clicking the “OK” button.
- You have to repeat the previous step if you have installed any wireless Network Adapters.
- Lastly, you have to reboot your computer and see if the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10 error has been fixed or not.
If the Computer Does Not Boot Up Normally:
- First, you have to boot your computer in Safe Mode.
- After that, you have to open the Run box by pressing the R and Windows key simultaneously.
- In the Run box, you have to type “devmgmt.msc” and press the “OK” button. This will open the Device Manager window.
- Now, go to the section of “Network Adapters”. Here, you have to locate a Network and right-click on it. Click on the “Disable” option.
- Then, you have to uninstall any wireless drivers that you have installed by repeating the previous step.
- Further, reboot your computer and the drivers will be automatically downloaded by Windows 10.
Now, check your computer to see if the procedure to stop code DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was successful or not.
Solution 2. Remove the Virus and Malware from your Computer
If you see that you are facing this BSOD error after you have installed software, then there is a great chance that there was some virus present on that software. Due to this virus or malware, this error has occurred. So, you can uninstall this software and see if the error is fixed or not.
Now, you can follow the given steps to uninstall the software successfully:-
- Click on the Settings option in the Start menu.
- Then, click on the “Apps” option.
- After that, click on the “Apps & Features” option. Then, you have to set the sort by type to “Install date”.
- Now, locate the software that you have installed lately and select it. Then, click on the “Uninstall” button.
After completing the process, check if the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10 error is solved or not.
Solution 3. Perform a Driver Update
Sometimes, an incompatible driver can cause this error to show up. This can be because of the fact that some of the drivers may not have been updated to their latest version. Follow the given steps to complete the process of updating your drivers successfully:-
- First, open the “File Explorer”. Then, locate the “This PC” option and right-click on it. After that, select the “Manage” option.
- Then, go to the “System Tools” option and select the option of “Device Manager”.
- Now, go to the “Disk Drives” option and right-click on the disk device. Then, click on the “Update Driver” option.
When the update is complete, you have to reboot your PC and see if it was able to stop code DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
Solution 4. Make Sure that your Computer does not Overheat
When a computer is running, it generates a lot of heat. However, if this heat is now removed by the computer accessories quickly, then the issue might get resolved. If the computer gets too hot, then this BSOD can occur.
So, to keep your computer coon, you can follow the given procedures:-
- You can upgrade the CPU fan if its speed is not high and if it is inadequate in keeping the computer cool.
- Also, you can go for a two fan setup. One fan may not be sufficient for your CPU to stay cool. Installing another Fan can do the trick.
- You can install a Water Cooling Kit to cool down your computer more effectively than the fans. This will be needed if your computer is heavily configured. Water Cooling Kit is very safe and it will not harm your computer.
After this, check if you are able to resolve the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error effectively. Otherwise, you can try out the next solution.
Solution 5. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Some problems with your RAM can also cause this error to show up. So, to check if this is true, you can use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. To check the status of your RAM by using this tool, you can follow the given below steps:-
- Open the Start Menu and in the search box, you have to write “Memory Diagnostic”. Now, from the search result, you have to click on the “Windows Memory Diagnostic” option.
- Now, press the “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)” option.
The computer will now search for the problems. This will take some time. It will display the problems that it has found on your computer. See if the error of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is still showing up in the result. If yes, then opt for the next solution.
Solution 6. Reset your Computer
If you are unable to solve this error by using any of the methods, then you can perform a reset of your computer. While resetting your computer, you will get the option to erase your personal files or save them. Follow the given steps to reset your computer without any problem:-
- Open the Start menu and go to the Settings of your computer. From there, select the “Update & Recovery” option.
- After that, select the “Recovery” option and then click on the option of “Get Started”.
- Now, you have to choose whether to “Remove everything” or “Keep my files”. After selecting this option, the computer will reset.
This process will take some time to be completed. After the process is completed, check if the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10 error is solved or not.
This BSOD is a great inconvenience to the users. The above-discussed procedures are very effective and easy to implement. So, use these methods to solve this error and start using your computer without any hindrance.