If you are a Roku user and you have lost your remote, then you may have the question of setting up Roku without a remote? When your Roku and your smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi, then you will be able to utilize the mobile app of Roku and use the smartphone as a remote for Roku.
However, if you change your house or the network provider, then you will not be able to connect your Roku with the new network. Also, if Roku not connected to Wifi and lost remote, you will also not be able to connect your Roku with Wi-Fi. But, that doesn’t mean that all hopes are lost.
There is still a way by which you can set up Roku without a remote. This process is not very quick or simple, but it is the only process to connect it.
Procedure to Set Up Roku without Remote:
So, let us see the procedures for how to connect Roku to Wifi without remote by following the given steps:-
1. Things required to Set up Roku Stick without Remote
Let us first see the things that you will need to set up Roku Wifi without remote. Two mobile phones. This is because one will be a Roku device hotspot, and the other phone will act as the Roku remote. It is very important to know the name and password for the wireless network of Roku. Additionally, you will also have to install the mobile app of Roku.
This Roku app needs to be downloaded on both smartphones. Before you start the process, you have to ensure that the hotspot access is included in the plan for the wireless service.
2. Set up Roku Wifi without Remote with the help of Mobile Hotspot
Now, you have to enable the hotspot for one of the phones that you are having. This process will be easier if you know the SSID for your Roku.
- Open the Roku app on your phone and enter the “Settings” app.
- Now, find the “Mobile Hotspot” option. This will be located in the “Wi-Fi” section. However, the location of “Mobile Hotspot” can be changed based on the operating system.
- Turn on the hotspot of your mobile.
- Under the “Wi-Fi Name (SSID)” option, you have to type the Roku SSID.
- After that, you have to type in the password. This will enable the connection.
- Now, click on “Save”.
After checking that you have completed the process correctly, you can turn on your mobile hotspot.
3. Using the Phone as the Remote Control
When your Roku device and the Roku mobile app is connected to the same network, the remote feature can be used to control the player. After that, you have to connect your mobile phone to the hotspot and then follow the given steps:-
- On the other phone, you have to open the Roku app.
- After that, from the bottom of the screen, you have to select the icon for the remote.
- Now, you have to wait until the screen for the remote appears.
The remote which will show up on the screen on the phone will be exactly like the physical remote of Roku. Try pressing the arrow keys and check if the Roku player is reacting to the movements.
4. Use Another Phone to Modify the Settings of the Wi-Fi
If you can navigate through the Roku player, then it will not be of much difficulty to customize the Roku wireless settings. This will be easier if you have used the same DDSN and password to create the hotspot on one phone and use the other phone as the remote.
- Turn the mobile which is not acting as a hotspot into a remote by using the mobile app of Roku.
- Now, on the remote app, you have to select the “Home” screen.
- Select the option of “Settings” and on the remote app, you have to press “OK”.
- After that, open the “Network” menu.
- Now, select the wireless network of your choice and connect your Roku to it.
- Then you can turn off the hotspot of your mobile.
- Next, you have to connect your one phone to the Wi-Fi that your Roku is connected to.
- Now, open the Roku mobile app and use this phone as the remote for Roku.
Roku will register the app on your phone. From now onwards, you will be able to use this phone as a remote as long as they are connected to the same wireless network.
Hope, from the above discussion, you have known how to connect Roku to Wifi without remote. This is a very important solution and you may need this if you lose your remote.
In addition, with this process, you can also use your mobile as your portable remote. However, you must make sure that both your Roku and your mobile is connected to the same Wi-Fi.