Your devices are able to communicate with other devices over the internet with the help of the IP address through a network that is IP-based. These IP addresses are the identity of the devices on the network and are unique to every device.
Some users may encounter the “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error message. As it is clear from the message itself that your IP address for the Ethernet connection is not valid anymore. This is happening because your Windows 10 operating system is failing to receive the correct IP address.
This “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error can be caused due to reasons like incorrect configuration of the network or incorrect, outdated, faulty drivers for the network adapters. If you are facing this error and don’t know how to fix it, then don’t worry. I will be discussing the solutions to this problem.
Solutions for “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” on Windows 10
So, let us check out the solutions that you can apply to fix this error of “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration”:-
1. System restart
It has been reported by many users that they have got this “Windows 10 ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” problem fixed by disabling the Fast Startup feature. This feature helps to load the settings from the cache or the memory which results in faster booting. However, disabling this feature, though may result in comparatively slower boot time, can fix this error as well. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the WinX menu by right-clicking on the Start Menu.
- Select “Power Options”.
III. After that, from the left panel, you have to press the option of “Choose what the power button does”.
- Then, select the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” option from the list.
- Next, to disable the “Fast Startup” you have to go to “Turn on fast startup” and uncheck the box beside it.
- Now, select the option of “Save changes”.
VII. After that, close the window and reboot the computer.
When the computer turns back on, check if the “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” is still showing or solved.
2. Reinstalling the IP/TCP
This Windows 10 ‘ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error can occur because of faulty IP/TCP. Follow the steps given below for solving this problem:-
- Open the secret Start Menu by pressing the X and the Windows key at the same time. From this menu, you have to choose the “Network Connection” option.
- Go to the network adapter and right-click on it. Select the option of “Properties”.
III. Then, you have to press the “Install” button.
- After that, select the “Protocol” option and then press the button of “Add”.
- Now, choose the option of “Reliable Multicast Protocol” and then install it by pressing the “OK” button.
- When the process is complete, try reconnecting your WiFi or the Ethernet and check if the ‘ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error is fixed.
3. Delete the network cache
By using the ipconfig tool, the content of the DHCP configuration can be renewed and the content of the DNS client resolver can be reset. This is a command-line tool and it has to be entered into the Command Prompt for execution. Hence, you have to enter the following commands in the Command Prompt as an administrator. Remember to press the Enter key after writing each of the commands.
After you have executed all the three commands, reboot your computer. Now, check if the ‘ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ problem is solved on your Windows 10 device.
4. Network settings reset
You can also solve this “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error by resetting the internet settings. This is necessary because sometimes the settings of the network become outdated and hence create a conflict with the current network. Resetting the settings can very well fix the problem.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the R and the Windows button simultaneously. Now, in the Run box, you have to write “command prompt” and then hit Enter.
- When you are in the command prompt, write the following commands and press Enter after writing each:-
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
III. When your settings have been reset, you have to reboot your computer. After the computer turns on, open the Run box by pressing the R and Windows key simultaneously. Then, write “control panel” within Run and hit Enter.
- Then, go to the “Network and sharing center”. After that, select the option of “Change adapter settings”.
- Now, select the option of hardware of your Ethernet and then click the button of “Disable”. Then, select it again and click on “Enable”.
- Lastly, reboot your computer one more time and check if the Windows 10 ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration problem has been solved.
5. Modem or router reboot
If you have both the modem and a router or just the router, switch off the power. Keep it like that for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, you can turn the power back on. Switch on your router and see if your computer is receiving a valid configuration. You might not see your computer getting connected instantly. You may have to wait for 1 or 2 minutes before it gets connected. This sometimes solves the problem.
However, if you are still getting the “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error message, then you can consider trying another Ethernet cable. If that too doesn’t solve the “ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration Windows 10” problem, then connect your computer to another router. If the problem gets solved, then the fault is in your router. However, if the connection fails, then the network card has to be changed.
I hope the above discussion lets you know how to fix ‘ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error. These are the easiest and the most effective methods for solving this problem. Hence, try these solutions one by one and you will definitely be able to resolve it on your own.