Fallout 3 was released in 2008. It was developed by Bethesda and is an open-world action role-playing game. It was released for various platforms. Fallout 3 was not only the most successful game of its time but also became a successful game of its genre. It is because of Fallout 3 that the number of fans of the Fallout franchise has increased. Fallout 3 is so popular that gamers play it even nowadays.
However, since it was released way back in 2008, it was built to work on old computers. It is not compatible with today’s operating systems and computers. But, that does not mean that there is no way to play it on a new computer. If you are looking forward to playing Fallout 3 on your new computer, like Windows 10, then don’t worry. Here we will be discussing some of the Fallout 3 Windows 10 fixes so that you can play it without any obstacle.
Procedures on “How to Get Fallout 3 to Work on Windows 10?”
If you want to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10, then here is how you can do it. Let us check out these methods and see how they can help with this procedure.
1. How to Make Fallout 3 Work on Windows 10 with an Administrator Privilege?
If you are facing problems in running Fallout 3 on Windows 10, then there is a great chance that the problem is caused due to administrative privileges. This problem can be solved by running it as an administrator. Thus, the solution to fix “how to make Fallout 3 work on Windows 10”? is very simple. Follow the given steps to execute the process successfully:-
- Go to the folder of Fallout 3. You will be able to get to this by entering the C drive and selecting the folder of “Program Files (x86)”. Then, go to the folder of “Steam”, and then to the “steamapps” folder. After that, open the “Common” folder. Within this folder, you will be able to find the “Fallout 3 goty” folder.
- After that, locate the “.EXE” file of Fallout 3 and right-click on it.
- Now, from the context menu that showed up, you have to click on “Properties”.
- Next, go to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Then, go to the option of “Run this program as an administrator” and enable it by clicking in the checkbox beside it.
- After that, click on the “Apply” button and then you will be asked to confirm your decision by showing a confirmation window. Then you have to press the “OK” option.
- Now, run Fallout 3 and see if the problem is still occurring.
After finishing this process, you will get to know how to run Fallout 3 on Windows 10. However, if you still fail to run, then you can carry on with the next procedure.
2. How to Perform Fallout 3 Windows 10 Fix by Running it in Compatibility Mode?
The compatibility issue is the main reason behind the Windows 10 unable to play Fallout 3. As it has been said already, Fallout 3 was released in 2008. This makes Windows 10 officially incompatible with Fallout 3. With the compatibility issue, the game will constantly crash on Windows 10. However, with the help of the Compatibility mode, you can solve this problem. So let see the solution for “how to get Fallout 3 to work on Windows 10?”
- First of all, you have to go to the folder for Fallout 3. To access this folder, you have to enter the C drive. Then, go to the “Program Files (x86) folder, and then to the “Steam” folder. After that, select the “Steamapps folder, then the “common” folder. Lastly, enter the “Fallout 3 goty” folder.
- Now, find the “.EXE” file and do a right-click on it.
- Then, from the new context menu that appeared on your screen, you have to select the “Properties” option.
- After that, enter the “Compatibility” tab.
- Now, you have to locate the “Run this program as an administrator” option and then enable it.
- Then, click on the “Apply” button and then press “OK” to save the changes you made.
Now, check if you are able to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 or not. If Fallout 3 is still not running on Windows 10, then you can move to the next solution.
3. How to Get Fallout 3 to Work on Windows 10 by Installing the Games Application for Windows Live?
To run Fallout 3 on Windows 10, you have to install the “Games for Windows Live” application. However, the process of installing this application is not that difficult. You can follow the given below steps for installing the application:-
- Go to the official website of Windows and download the “Game for Windows Live” installer.
- After the downloading process is complete, go to the drive where you have downloaded the installer. Launch the installer by double-clicking on it.
- Now, you have to follow the instructions that are displayed on-screen. This will help you to complete the Installation Wizard process. When the process will finish, the installation of the application of “Games for Windows Live” will be completed.
- After that, launch the “Games for Windows Live” application.
- Now, this application will detect the missing files required by Fallout 3 to run on Windows 10 and then it will download these files.
When the downloading of these files is completed, close the application of “Games for Window Live” and run Fallout 3. Now, see if Fallout 3 is able to run on Windows 10 or not. However, if you are still not able to run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 still now, then the next procedure might be able to help you.
4. How to Make Fallout 3 Work on Windows 10 by Editing the File of “falloutprefs.ini”?
If you are facing some issues and don’t know how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10, then you can opt for editing the file of “falloutprefs.ini”. This file is the configuration file of the game. Follow the given below steps for performing the Fallout 3 Windows 10 fix:-
- First of all, select the “My Documents” folder. After that, open the ‘My Games” folder and locate the folder of “Fallout 3”.
- Now, find the file of “falloutprefs.ini”.
- Then, double-click on the file so that it will open in a new Notepad.
- After that, find the “bUseThreadedAI=0” and replace the 0 with a 1. However, if you are unable to find “bUseThreadedAI=0”, then you can manually add “bUseThreadedAI=1” within the content in a new line.
- Now, in another line, you have to write “iNumHWThreads=2”.
- After that, save the changes by pressing “Ctrl + S” and then close the window.
Now, run Fallout 3 and see if it is able to run properly. If it manages to successfully run Fallout 3 on your Windows 10, then you must run it with administrative privileges and in compatibility mode.
Hope that with the help of the above solutions, you are able to understand how to run Fallout 3 on Windows 10. These procedures are the simplest and the most effective that you can easily apply in your system. By implementing these procedures, you can now enjoy Fallout 3 on your Windows 10.