Avast is a well-known and widely-used antivirus software that performs without any issues. However, some users have reported that there’s a high usage of CPU on their systems because of Avast. This is very annoying for the users. Avast service high CPU usage can be caused due to various reasons. If you are facing this problem, then don’t worry. I will be discussing the reasons as well as the methods to solve this problem of Avast high CPU usage.
Reasons for Avast service high CPU usage
Avast antivirus performs many tasks like virus cleanup and removal, full virus scan, and background scanning. There is no doubt that these processes are important and helps to keep our computers safe. But, sometimes, these processes can become resource hogging and take up too much of the CPU space and as a result, increase the CPU usage. Additionally, an incorrect system configuration can also lead to Avast high CPU usage. Another reason can be the irregular entries in the Windows registry. So, let us see the methods to solve this problem of Avast using too much CPU space.
Procedures for solving Avast service high CPU usage
So, let us see some of the easiest solutions that you can apply to solve this Avast taking up CPU problem:-
1. Do a Command prompt tweak for solving Avast service high CPU usage
The load on the CPU can be caused by frequent background scanning. This can be solved by changing the scan frequency. By doing this, the load on the CPU will lessen. This will disable the monitoring and background checks, but it will definitely solve the Avast high CPU usage problem. Follow the steps below to execute this fix successfully:-
- Open the Run box by pressing the R and the Windows button together.
- After that, type the following command and press Enter:-
This will take you to the “Avast” folder and here you have to:
III. Open the file of “avast5.ini” and then write the given command:-
[GrimeFighter] : ScanFrequency=999
- After that, save this file and perform a reboot of your computer.
Check if the problem of Avast using too much CPU space is solved or not.
2. Update to the latest version of Avast
Sometimes, this Avast service high CPU space usage problem is caused due to an older version of the antivirus. Hence, it is very important for you to update it to the latest version. You can follow these steps to update to the latest version of Avast antivirus:-
- Open Avast or you can go to “System tray” and click on the Avast icon to open it.
- Now, from the drop-down, you have to select the option of “Menu”. After that, click on the option of “Settings”.
III. Then, select the tab of “General” and go to the tab of “update”.
- Here, you will see two buttons for the update. One is for updating the database of the virus definition, and the other one is for updating the antivirus software.
- You have to update them both. You may have to wait for a bit as Avast is looking for new updates. After that, you have to follow the instruction showing on-screen and carry on with the update procedure.
When the update is completed, see if the problem of Avast taking up CPU space is solved.
3. Close the Avast Screensaver if it is open
There are times when the Avast screensaver is scanning even when it is not active. This activity takes place in the background and ultimately results in Avast using too much CPU space. So, to solve this problem, you can follow these steps:-
- Select a random file from your desktop and right-click on it. When the context menu will appear, you have to select the option to scan the file using the Avast antivirus.
- After that, a window for the scan result will show up on the screen. In this window, you will be able to see the currently running scans on your computer.
III. Then, you have to find the option of “Avast Screensaver scan”. After you find it, you have to select it and press the button of “Stop”. This will stop the process of “Avast Screensaver scan”.
Now, see if the problem of Avast cleanup service high CPU usage has been resolved or not.
4. Using the Control Panel for repairing Avast Antivirus Software
Another method that you can try is to repair the antivirus software of Avast. This can be done from the Control Panel. It has been reported by many users that this method has shown great results in solving the Avast service high CPU usage problem. So, let us see the steps to perform this method correctly:-
- Open Run by pressing the R and the Windows button simultaneously. Now, in the Run box, you have to write “control panel” and press Enter. However, for Windows 10 users, you can select the gear icon and it will open Settings.
- Now, in the “Control Panel”, you have to set “View by” to category. After that, select the option of “Uninstall a Program”.
III. However, if you have used the “Settings” option, then you have to go to “Apps”. Within this option, you will find the name of all the programs installed on your computer.
- Now, within the Control panel or Settings, find “Avast”, and then you have to select the option of “Uninstall/Repair”.
- After this, the uninstall wizard will show up and you will be given two options of “Remove” and “Repair”. You have to select the “Repair” option. Then, press “Next’.
- Next, you have to “Confirm” your decision to repair Avast. When the process will be completed, Avast will restart and it will have the default settings. When the process is completed, you have to click on “Finish”.
Reboot your computer and see if the problem of Avast cleanup service high CPU usage has been solved.
I hope that the above methods will help you solve the problem of Avast service high CPU space usage. These are the most effective methods and many users have benefitted from these fixes. Start by following one method and if that does not help you solve the Avast cleanup service high CPU space problem, then move to the next one. And, the issue will definitely get fixed.