Windows is one of the most user-friendly and popular operating systems used worldwide. It has support for all kinds of third-party applications in its system. Although with such great features sometimes Windows too faces issues. One of the common issues that many users face is the error 0x80004005: unspecified error. This is a type of cryptic error code, mentioning ‘unspecified’ and if you are facing this error, you have probably no idea where to begin troubleshooting. But you need to fix it so as to continue with your important work.
Common scenarios that result in error 0x80004005
You might not know about this but Windows Error 0x80004005 is an unspecified error, and it can occur anytime. Though it is often related to the Windows Updates, however, you can even get this when you are moving or renaming a folder, and sometimes even while working with compressed files and folders. Some common factors resulting in error code 0x80004005 in Windows are:
- Issues with the Windows or any other Program update.
- Problems with shared folders or files.
- Problem in the Windows Notification system.
- Issues while extracting or opening compressed folders and files.
- When you are using Outlook.
- Launching the Virtual Machine in Windows system.
Effective solutions to fix the error 0x80004005
Without wasting any more time let’s just jump to the solutions for fixing the error. Here we have mentioned all the possible scenarios where this error can occur. Follow the instructions provided below and thereby fix the error depending on when and where you are facing the error.
1.Fix Error 0x80004005 when you are Updating Windows
When you are trying to install Windows Updates and face this error you can try the instructions provided below to solve the issue.
Solution 1: Troubleshoot from the Settings Menu
You can let the Windows Troubleshooter do the work automatically and thereby fix the error.
Windows 7/8 Users: If you are a Windows 7 or 8 user, then all you need to do is download the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which you can get from the Microsoft Forum. Once you have downloaded the file, double-click on it to launch it. After that, select the “Windows Update” option and then to continue, click on the Next button. Lastly, restart the PC.
Windows 10 Users: If you are a Windows 10 user then open the Settings menu, then click on the Update & Security option. After that, click on the Troubleshoot option on the left panel of the Settings menu. Then you have to click on the Run troubleshoot option. Lastly, just restart your PC.
Solution 2: Repair System files using SFC
Sometimes Windows Update faces issues due to some damage or missing core system files. So to fix this you can use the System File Checker (SFC) to find and thereby fix the issue. This solution will work only if you have administrative rights to the system.
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run Dialog box, type “cmd” and then hit Enter.
- Or you can search for ‘command prompt’ in the Windows search bar and select the Run as administrator option.
- Now just type the “sfc /scannow “ followed by hitting Enter.
Solution 3: Restart the Update Services of the System
To receive and install updates, Windows uses many services. And these services are provided by Microsoft. So if any of these services are not working properly or if it is faulty, then you can face the error. Therefore you can choose to restart the services in order to solve the error.
- Open the Start Menu and then search for Command Prompt.
- When the results appear, right-click on “Command prompt” and then click on Run as Administrator.
- After that, type or copy-paste these commands. Hit enter after each.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop trustedinstaller
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- After that, you have to restart the services.
- For that, go to Command Prompt once again and type these commands one by one. Hit Enter after typing each.
net start wuauservnet start bits
net start trustedinstaller
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Solution 4: Install the Updates Manually
If none of the above solutions fix the problem then you can choose to update the Windows manually. And for that simply open the Microsoft Update Catalog and then provide the Knowledge Base number of the Windows System. Now, a list of all the updates will be provided to you. Choose the version that is appropriate for you. Once the file is downloaded, double-click on it and then just follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Fix Error 0x80004005 in Microsoft Outlook
Many users have reported facing this error while using Microsoft Outlook. However, this error can be shown while accessing the emails mainly due to two reasons.
- Antivirus is blocking the retrieval of the received mails.
- Notification system problem with the new emails.
Usually, if the former is the case, then you can check that in very simple and easy steps. Just open the antivirus interface and then click on the Settings menu. After that disable the security protection till the next restart. Once you have done that, check if the problem is fixed or not.If the antivirus is not blocking the retrieval, then the issue is with the Notification System. Then you just have to deactivate the feature. And to so, follow the instructions given below.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Click on File and then click on the Options button.
- Then go to the Email category, there you will find an option “Show desktop notification”, which is under the “Incoming Messages” option. Now, just uncheck the box beside it.
- To save the changes, click on Ok and thereby confirm it.
3.Fix Error 0x80004005 while Unpacking a Folder or File
If you are seeing the error 0x80004005 when you are unpacking or unzipping a file or a folder, then probably,
- The algorithm of the zipped folder or file is not supported by Windows.
- The Zip file or folder is protected with a password.
You might not be aware of the fact, but Windows only supports ZIPCrypto and AES 128 file types while unpacking a file or folder. Therefore this can be the common reason for this 0x80004005 error as most of the folders or files are AES 256. So, you can use any third-party app that will serve the purpose.
However, if the error is not fixed by doing this, then the file or the folder is password protected. In that case, it will be impossible to solve the error, as you need the password to access the file or the folder.
4. Fix Error 0x80004005 During Network Error
Undoubtedly this error can also happen while using Private or personal networks. Thereby it will totally prevent access to the network. So, to fix the error in such a case, you just have to activate two services, Client for Microsoft Networks and/or file and printer sharing for Microsoft network.
- Click on the Start menu and then open the Control Panel.
- Navigate to the Network and Sharing Centre option.
- Locate the “Show active Networks” and select the problematic network connection.
- Then click on the Properties option when the menu appears.
- Now, mark the box next to “Client for Microsoft Networks” and “File and printer sharing for Microsoft network”.
- Lastly, to save the changes, click on the Ok button.
5. Fix Error 0x80004005 while Using the Virtual Box
If you are facing the error 0x80004005 while accessing the Virtual Machine, perhaps the main cause behind the problem is when there are any issues, damaged or lost files from the Virtualization Software files. Not to worry, as Virtual Box has got solutions for such errors. The Virtual box has its own repair function that can be used to solve the error. And by doing that, the Virtual box replaces its faulty files or downloads the missing files.
If the NDIS6 is not activated to access the network then you can face such issues. The Virtual box uses the “VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver” to get access to the network options. Therefore all you need to do is to check if it is activated or not.
- Open the Control Panel from the Start Menu.
- Then go to Network and Sharing Centre. Then find NDIS6, and check if it is active or not.
- If not, then mark the box beside the NDIS6 option.
That is all with the solutions to fix the error 0x80004005. Before you go for the implementation of the solutions you need to check why or when the error is occurring. Then go with the fixes fro solving this error at the earliest.