When Windows is not able to boot successfully and runs into problems, then the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool helps to solve the problem. Additionally, it also helps in upgrading to the new version of Windows 10 and installing Windows 10.
However, while running the Media Creation Tool, some users have faced an error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. When this error code occurs, it prevents the users from creating a USB drive which is bootable, with the help of the Media Creation Tool. If you are one of the users who are facing this problem, then do not worry. Here we will be discussing the reasons responsible for this error as well as the solutions for this error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a.
Reasons Responsible for Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a in Windows 10:
So, let us see the reasons that might cause this Windows Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 – 0xa001a to occur:
- You have to select a USB drive to create an installation media. If you did not use this drive to run the tool, then this error can occur.
- The USB drive may not have sufficient space.
- You have to make sure that the USB drive has been formatted into the file system of NTFS.
- When you are running the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10, there must be an antivirus software that is running.
These are the primary reasons for which the error 0x80042405 – 0xa001a can occur. Before moving on to the solutions, you have to make sure that there is no antivirus software running in the background. Also, ensure that you have at least 8GB of free space on the USB drive.
Solutions to Get Rid of Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a:
Now, let’s check out the methods by which you can fix this Windows Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 – 0xa001a.
Solution 1: Use the same USB drive for downloading and running the Media Creation Tool
This solution is very simple and effective. When you face the error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a, you must first start with the easiest solution. Follow the given below steps to complete this solution:
- Take the USB drive that you want to use as the installation media and download the tool in this drive. However, you can copy it to the USB drive from your computer if you have already downloaded it there.
- Now, take the USB drive and run the tool directly from it. After that, a Bootable USB or an Installation Media will be created by the installer.
After this, the error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a will be fixed. Many other users have fixed this error by applying this solution.
Solution 2: GPT to MBR Conversion of the USB drive
Many users have seen that even when you format the drive to FAT32, the Media Creation Tool will fail if the type of partition is in GPT. This Windows Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 – 0xa001a can be fixed if you convert the disk into MBR. It is well known that when compared to MBR disk, GPT disk is more advanced.
However, by setting the characteristics to MBR, you will be able to use the USB for booting. This is because of the fact that MBR is considered as a sector for first boot.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the R and the Windows button at the same time. After that, within the Run box, you have to type “diskpart” and hit Enter.
- Now, you have to write the given command:
You have to enter another command
select disk x
In this command, the “x” is the bootable media disk number. Eg; if you want to create your bootable media on disk one, then the command will be like “select disk 1”.
- After that, the disk has to be cleaned properly before converting it to MBR. When the cleanup process is complete, then you have to enter the following command.
- Lastly, check if error 0x80042405 – 0xa001a is fixed.
Solution 3: NTFS Formatting of the USB drive
According to many users who were facing this problem if you format your USB drive to NTFS, then this problem will be solved. In normal cases, using a USB drive which is formatted in FAT32 works fine with Media Creation Tool for Windows 10.
However, if someone faces the error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a, then it fails to work. At that time, only by formatting to NTFS will be able to solve the problem. You can follow the below steps successfully to format the drive to NTFS:
- Open “My Computer” by pressing the E and the Windows button. Then, you have to select the “This-PC” option.
- Now, you will be able to see your USB device. Right-click on the USB drive and click on the ‘Format’ option.
- After that, you will see a window and it will ask all the details. In this window, you have to ensure that the NTFS is selected in the format type option. Then, proceed as you like.
- When the formatting process is complete, run the Media Creation Tool. Check if that particular error code is still occurring.
Solution 4: Use the Power Option to Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting
- Open the Start menu and then open the Run dialog box. After that, write “Control Panel ” in the Run box and press Enter. Now, in the Control Panel, you have to go to the Power Options.
- Then, select the “Change When The Computer Sleeps” option.
- After that, select the “Change Advanced Power Settings” option.
- Now, expand the option of “USB Settings”. Then, select the “USB Selective Suspend Settings” option.
- Next, you have to click on the “Disabled” option. Then click on the “On Battery” as well as “Plugged”.
- Lastly, press the “OK” option and close the Power Options window.
This process will ensure that your USB drive does not enter the suspend mode when the Windows 10 installation media is being made by the Media Creation Tool. If the installation media is successful, then the error code 0x80042405-0xa001a will not show up.
Hope that from the above discussion, you are able to understand what causes the error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a and how to solve it. These are the most effective methods that you can use and as these methods are quite simple, you will not face much difficulty in applying them.