The new way in which the Windows 10 handles the updates has become a controversial feature. This is because whenever some new updates are available, Windows will download and install it automatically. As a result of which, users have to restart their computer even at times when they are doing some important tasks. Hence, it will be convenient if we are able to turn off automatic updates on Windows 10.
However, before we proceed and turn off the auto-update feature, you must know that some of these updates will be security updates. These are very important because these updates are responsible for improving the stability of your computer. You have to keep this factor in mind if you are planning to disable Windows 10 update for a long time.
Procedures to Turning off Automatic Updates in Windows 10
In this discussion to turn off Windows 10 updates, we will not be discussing the method of stopping the update by making changes to the registry. This method is very risky and only an experienced user can do it successfully. So, let us see the methods by which you can stop Windows 10 updates from getting automatically installed into the computer.
1. Disable Windows 10 update by Making the Windows Update Service disabled
You can disable Windows Update like other services on Windows 10 since it is basically another service of Windows 10. Follow the steps below to disable the Windows Update.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the R and Windows button at the same time. Now, in the Run box, you have to write “service.msc” and press Enter.
- After that, from the list of Services, select the option of “Windows Update service”.
- Then, go to the tab of “General”, and set the option to “Disabled” for “Startup Type”.
- Now, reboot your computer.
Doing this, you have successfully completed the process of “Windows 10 turn off automatic updates”. However, if you want to enable it again, you have to follow the same steps, but you have to set the “Startup Type” to “Automatic”.
2. Disable Windows 10 update by enabling Metered Connection
You will have the option of enabling Metered Connection if you are using Wi-Fi to connect your Windows 10 computer to the internet. By enabling the metered connection, only the priority updates will be installed to conserve the bandwidth. Opting for this method will minimize the chance of stability problems that can be caused due to some of the software and drivers not getting installed.
- Press the button of I and Windows to open the Settings option of Windows.
- Open to the option of “Network & Internet”.
- Now, open the “Wi-Fi” option and select the “Manage known networks” option.
- After that, you have to click on the network that you are connected to and select the option of “Properties”. Then, toggle the switch to “On” for the option of “Set as metered connection”.
This option is only available if you are connected to a WiFi network and will not appear if you are connected by an Ethernet cable. So, this is how to turn off Windows 10 updates by enabling “Metered Connection”.
3. How to stop Windows 10 update by changing the settings of Group Policy?
Group Policy Editor can also be used to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10. Follow these steps to execute this process successfully:-
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the R and Windows button simultaneously.
- Now, in the Run box, you have to write “gpedit.msc” and press the button of “OK”.
- After that, select the “Computer Configuration” option. Then, go to the “Administrative Templates” option, and after that select the “Windows Components” option. Lastly, select the option of “Windows Update”.
- Next, you have to go to “Configure Auto Updates” and double click on it.
- Then, you have to click the option of “Disabled” and then select “Apply” and after that press “OK” to save the changes. This will stop the automatic update feature of Windows 10.
So, this is how to turn off Windows 10 updates using the Group Policy editor.
4. How to disable Windows 10 automatic updates by changing the settings for Device Installation?
You can follow these steps if you do not want the auto-update to install the device drivers automatically on your computer.
- Open the Start Menu and in the Search box, you have to write “control panel”. From the search result, you have to click on the “Control Panel”.
- Now, within “Control Panel”, you have to select the option of “System”.
- Then, on the left side of the window, select the option of “Advanced system settings”.
- After that, go to the tab of “Hardware” and select the “Device Installation Settings” option.
- Next, in the new window, you have to select the option of “No (your device might not work as expected)”. After that, click on the button of “Save Changes”.
- Lastly, finish the settings by clicking on “OK”.
After this process, the drivers from your manufacturer will not get downloaded automatically to your computer.
I hope that the above discussion helped you understand how to stop Windows 10 update from getting installed automatically on your computer. Although some of these updates are useful for your computer, some are not that necessary and you can update them afterward. However, for the security updates, you can update them manually whenever they are made available. This will keep your computer protected and will maintain its stability.