The functionality required by many VPN clients for facilitating a VPN connection is provided by Tap Windows Adapter V9. This is a virtual network. However, some users have reported that while their Tap-windows Adapter V9 is enabled, their internet connection is not working. Moreover, if they disable it, after every boot, the Tap-windows Adapter V9 automatically enables itself.
Thus, if you are one such user, then do not worry. Here we will be discussing some of the best methods that will help you to disable this Tap Windows 9.21.2 permanently. However, first of all, let us know about Tap-windows 9.21.2.
A Brief Note on Tap-windows Adapter V9:
Most of the VPN programs install the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 as a special network driver. This adapter will appear on your Device Manager after the installation of the client’s initial VPN. The majority of the VPN suites make use of this adapter in privately connecting with the internet.
There are two types of Tap Windows Adapter V9 based on the version of Windows. These versions are as follows:-
- NDIS 5 driver (tap-windows, version 9.9x)- this is present on Windows XP
- NDIS 6 driver (tap-windows, version 9.21.x)- this is present on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
If you are connecting to the internet with the help of a VPN network, then there are not many reasons for you to remove the adapter. But, if you are facing connectivity problems, then you must examine if your driver Tap Windows 9.21.2 has been corrupted or not.
In other circumstances where you can face connectivity problems is that you were using the VPN service earlier and currently you have stopped using it. The problem can be caused by the leftover Tap Windows Adapter V9. It will be better if you remove the Adapter completely from your computer.
However, you also have to remove the software of the VPN as well because if you do not remove it, the adapter will automatically download the adapter again.
Procedures to Remove Tap-windows Adapter V9 from your Computer:
The process of removing the Adapter is not as easy as uninstalling the Adapter. This is because of the fact that the VPN software you are using keeps bringing it back every time. However, this feature is not available on every VPN, but most of them have this ability. You may wonder why it keeps reinstalling the Adapter?
This is because, when the VPN service checks for any missing drivers and finds that the adapter is missing, it downloads it automatically. So, follow the given below steps for removing the driver of Tap Windows:-
- First of all, you have to enter the “Program Files”.
- After that, locate the folder of “Tap-Windows”.
- Then, double-click on the “exe” and then to completely remove the driver you have to follow the on-screen instructions.
If you leave after this process, then on the next startup, the “Tap Windows 9.21.2” will appear on your computer again. To make it completely go away, you have to follow the steps provided hereunder:
- Open the dialog box of Run. You can press the R and the Windows key simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Here, you have to write “appwiz.cpl” and then press “OK”. This will open the “Programs and Features” window on your computer.
- After that, locate your VPN client from the list. Then, select it and uninstall it.
If you have used more than one VPN softwares, then you must remove all of them. By leaving a single of the VPN software will result in reinstalling the Tap-windows 9.21.2 again.
Procedures to Reinstall Tap Windows 9.21.2:
Removing the adapter is alright if you are not going to use the VPN service again. However, if you are going to use the VPN service, then you have to reinstall it correctly so that you do not face any problem.
- At first, you have to end the connection of the VPN and close the programs associated with the VPN.
- Next, go to the Device Manager and open it.
- After that, go to the Network Adapters option and expand it.
- Then, you have to select the Tap Windows Adapter V9 option. Now, check its icon for any exclamation mark on it. If there is an exclamation mark, you have to right-click on the icon and click on the “Uninstall device” option.
- Now, open the VPN client. After opening, the VPN software will detect the missing driver of the network and will automatically download it or you will be prompted to download it. Next, go back to the “Device Manager” and see if the exclamation mark has been removed or not.
If the exclamation is removed, then you will be able to use the VPN normally.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned steps will help you to solve your connection problem due to Tap Windows Adapter V9. These are the most effective methods of resolving your connection issues whether you are using the VPN or not. Thus, you must know that Tap-windows Adapter V9 is necessary if you are going to use a VPN.