Windows is one of the most used and advanced operating systems available to you. However, sometimes it falls back due to some issues. So you might ask, why is my Computer lagging suddenly? While you are playing games or running any application, or you might be enjoying a video, you suddenly find that the computer starts to lag.
So, if you are here with the same question and want to know how to fix a slow PC & speed up performance, then you are in the right place. As in this article, we are going to discuss the top 5 reasons for computer lagging issues and also solutions on how you can fix it.
Solve Computer Lagging (Problems & Solutions)
The lag issue of the computer can be caused due to many reasons. It depends on the hardware as well as the software issues of the PC. So here, you will get all the detailed reasons as well as the solutions to fix the problems. Just go through the article till the end to know how to fix lag of the PC.
If your system is having an old, overheated CPU, which is not fast enough to run the processes. Then it might result in slowing the PC. As CPU is the main component of the PC, thus in order to get the best performance of the PC, you have to keep it up to date with the minimum requirements of the processes that you want to run. However, you should know that the processing power of the PC should not be 100% as it will lag the PC. So, to check that, you can go through a Stress Test to monitor the CPU performance. After performing the test, if the results show that the CPU is having poor performance, then you can replace it with a new one.
The System having Corrupted or Insufficient RAM
Random Access Memory is one of the important components of the system. It maintains the files and application by saving the temporary files. So, if your system is having outdated or corrupted RAM, then the PC will be showing lag problems. In the worst cases, the system keeps on restarting. If you run any application that needs more RAM then your system has, then this will result in lagging issues. So, you can opt for a new RAM or even you can increase the RAM of the system.
Too many Startup Programs
When you start your PC, you might not know there a number of programs that are running in the background. The programs use all the processing power of the processor, resulting in slowing the PC and in some cases, the PC starts to lag. So to fix this, you have to go through the below-provided processes.
For Windows 8 & 10 Users
- Firstly, press and hold the Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager. Alternatively, you can right-click on the Taskbar of the Windows and click on the Task Manager.
- After that, click on the Startup tab to see the applications that run when the system boots.
- Now, you can change the option from Enable to Disable for the application that will prevent the application from starting when the system boots.
For Windows 7 & Older User
- Click on the Start button.
- Then you have to search for the System Configurations.
- Then hit the Startup Tab.
- Thereafter, uncheck all the programs that you don’t want to start when the system boots up.
For Mac User
- Go to the Application of the Mac.
- Then go to the System Preferences. From there, you have to click on the User group options.
- Then open the Login Items.
- Now, just uncheck all the unwanted applications.
Hard Drive is failing
This is the time when the Hard drive is old and causing issues for the application to run properly. Thus, it results in a system lagging issue. Also, the HDD might have some corrupted files or cache files. So, you can replace the old HDD with a new HDD. If you don’t want to opt for a new HDD, then you can check the following steps and thereby check for any corrupted files in the drive.
For Windows Users
- Open This PC to open My computer.
- Then right-click on the disks.
- Go to the Properties options.
- Now hit the Tools tab.
- After that, you have to click on the “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” option.
Once you select that, the computer will not allow the hard drive to access the bad areas. Perhaps, this might take a lot of time to scan.
Although Solid State Drive (SSD) does not face such a problem. Additionally, the SSD is a lot faster than the HDD as well as have a long life span.
For Mac Users
- Open the Application section.
- Then go to the Utilities options.
- Click on the Disk utility.
- Now, select the drive and click on the First Aid button which is located on the top of the screen.
The browser has many Add-ons
To access the internet, you need the browser and to get the best of the browser experience, you need different types of add-ons. But they usually save cache files in the browser as well as on the computer. This results in the lagging of the PC. So all you have to do is to remove the extensions from your browser.
- Open the Chrome Browser.
- Right-click on any extension and followed by clicking on the Manage Extension button.
- Just uncheck the box near to the extension that you don’t want to disable.
- Open the Firefox browser.
- Click on the Menu button which is on the top right corner of the browser.
- Then navigate to the Add-ons section.
- Click on the Extensions.
- Now, uncheck all the extension that is not required.
- Open the browser and hit the Settings menu.
- Click on the Extensions.
- Simply remove the extension that is not needed
- Open the browser, click on the Tools button.
- Then click on Manage Add-ons, followed by clicking on the Show All add-ons option.
- After that, click on the offender(s) and select Disable or Remove option.
- Open the Safari.
- Click on the Preferences options.
- Then select the Security option.
- Go to Extensions and remove the extensions that are not needed.
These are the top five reasons for computer lagging and their associated solutions. Hope that the article has helped the users a lot in answering their query to how to fix a slow PC.