Windows is the most well-known and popular operating system used all across the globe. However, Microsoft announced that they will not provide any more services or any updates for the Windows 7 version. In addition to that, Windows 7 users can use the Redmond giant to install the latest version of Windows 10. Unfortunately, this offer is no longer available as Microsoft announced the free version only until 31st December 2017.
So, if you are a Windows 7 user or above and want to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10, but you are having the query “can I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free?”, then check out the information provided here.
Fortunately Yes, you still can free upgrade to Windows 10. And for that, you have to use the Windows Media Creation Tool. Not to worry as you are in the right place. Here we have provided all the necessary instructions that you need to follow. Just follow the guide till the end.
Why do You Need to Upgrade to Windows 10?
The first question that you might have is why you need to upgrade to Windows 10 free? Well, the upgrade will improve the overall experience of the operating system. Besides, it will also upgrade the structure of the application, folders, and files in all places.
As the upgrade of Windows is a very annoying thing, it might bring some bugs and takes a lot of time to process. But these are much of an easy process, rather than removing and installing a new operating system in the PC and importing all the files and folders again.
Although if you are a Windows 7 user, it is highly important for you to upgrade your system. As we have mentioned above, Microsoft has stopped providing services for Windows 7 users. So you might face a lot of issues while using this in your system. Moreover, you will be exposed to more vulnerable issues as well as your system will be exposed to malware and adware.
Some Steps to Follow Before Upgrading to Windows 10:
Before you jump to the instructions to upgrade Windows 10, there are few steps that you have to follow to make sure that the upgrade does not affect or does not get affected.
Make Sure that the Version of the Windows is Activated
You will not be getting the free version upgrade to Windows 10 if your Windows which you are using is not activated. So the primary thing is that you need to check if the Windows is activated or not. The steps to check if Windows is activated or not is very easy and is as follows.
Windows 8/8.1: Press the Windows key and W continuously to open the search bar of the Settings menu. Then in the search option, type “Activated” and hit the Enter button. This will now show the activation status of the Windows in your system.
Windows 7: Click on the Start button, then navigate to the “Computer” options and right-click on it. Thereafter, click on the Properties options. There you can see the activation status of Windows.
Take a Backup of Personal Data
Before you upgrade, it is necessary to take a backup of the personal data you have on the computer. In case, the upgrade removes some of your personal data from the system, then there is no other way to get the files.
So, taking a backup can be a better choice before going for the up-gradation. Although Microsoft makes sure that it does not affect the personal files during the installation of the new files.
Disable the Antivirus
A lot of users have reported that not disabling the tool has issues during the Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade. Therefore, it is recommended to disable the antivirus for a short period of time if you have any third-party antivirus in the system.
You have to launch the antivirus and then disable it. For that, go to the Settings and then disable the Real-time security or any other security that can prevent the installation of the upgrade in the system.
Step-by-Step Procedures for Free How to Upgrade to Windows 10:
Once you have followed all the above-said steps, then it is time to go through these instructions given below for free Windows 10 upgrade.
Download the Windows Media Creation Tool:
- First, open the browser and then go to the download page of Windows 10. Then, in the search bar, you can search for the Windows Media Creation Tool. From there, you can go to the first website thereby clicking on the Download Tool Now button.
- Once the download is completed, now you have to go to the Download folder. Then double-click on the tool.
What to do Next?
- Then accept all the Terms and Conditions of the license.
- After that, in the next window, you have to click on the “Upgrade this PC” option. Then click on the Next button to continue.
- On the next window, the tool will ask how you want to upgrade Windows, whether to download the important updates or remove everything thereby downloading and installing the upgrade. Usually, it is suggested to download them, but if you are in a rush, then you can choose the “Not Right Now” option.
- Also, if you choose the Download only important updates, then you will not lose any personal data. Moreover, you will not lose any application that you have installed in the system.
- Once the installation process starts, you have to wait until it is completely done. However, it will restart the PC a lot of times.
- When the total process is complete, you will now have Windows 10 on your PC. Connect the PC to the internet and then check for any further updates for the Windows 10 version. Also, remember to check the Activation status of the Windows.
- Go to the Setting menu, click on the Windows update. Then click on the Activation option to see the activation status of Windows.
Perhaps, if you see the Windows is not activated, then you can simply provide the product key of the previous Windows that you were using.
So, if you were here to know about how to perform Windows 10 free upgrade, then by now, you must have got enough solutions to perform it successfully. After doing so, you should check all the applications and files, if they are running properly in the new Windows system. If you face any issues with any application, then you can reinstall the application.